- ½ kilo fish steaks, e.g. sea bass or sea bream (fish head included)
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges (cherry, pomodori or other types as well)
- 1 red chili, sliced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- ½ onion (red and/or white), in rings or wedges
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- black pepper
- 1½ liters of water
- basic fish dipping sauce Nuoc cham
- Bring water to the boil in a large pan and add the salt.
- Add the cleaned fish and sugar and bring to a boil. Remove the foam layer occasionally.
- Put the tomatoes in the broth and let the water boil.
- Turn the heat to soften and add the fish sauce, onions and chili. Taste and add additional sugar, salt or fish sauce to the soup to taste.
- Put the fish soup in a large bowl and garnish with chopped coriander and ground pepper.
- Put on the table a plate with basic fish dipping sauce. Take some fish steaks out of the soup bowl and place on the dipping sauce.