Nem nuong will take some time and some care, therefore it might be useful to make extra for next time. The meat can be stored for about 2 months in the freezer.
- 2 kilos of pork meat, for example, pork steaks and pork belly, grounded in a food processor in a fine paste
- 2 tbsp baking powder, 4 tbsp of water, 4 tbsp toasted rice powder (= 8 tbsp of uncooked rice on medium high heat, brown roasted in skillet, stirring constantly, cool and mash in a mortar)
- meat marinade: 5 tbsp brown sugar (and/or honey), 4 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp black pepper. Optional: 2 tsp caramel sauce or 2 drops of red food coloring
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed in a mortar (amount to taste)
Side dishes and garnish
- mixed lettuce and fresh herbs to taste: coriander, Thai basil, mint, green mangoes or sour apples such as Granny Smith, star fruit (carambola), Chinese chive, cucumber, etc.
- pickled carrot Dua ca rot (optional, but very delicious here)
- rice vermicelli, according to instructions
- rice paper
Dipping sauces and dressing
- basic fish sauce dipping Nuoc cham, pimped with extra lemon juice, toasted sesame seeds and carrots cut into fine julienne to taste. As dipping or dressing over the noodle.
- also delicious is hoisin dipping sauce or peanut sauce.
- Add all the ingredients for the meat marinade in a bowl and stir until the sugar is mostly dissolved. The caramel sauce or red food coloring is optional and gives the meat respectively browner and redder color. I make the patties not too salty because dipping sauces do some of that work.
- Mix the baking soda with water and put together with the rice powder and the meat. Add the meat marinade and garlic paste and mix well, preferably by hand. Let the minced pork rest for at least one hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Remove the pork meat from the refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature. Put oil in the hand palms and shape the pork patties.You can make various forms, such as large flat burgers, small rolls or meatballs on skewers.
- Cook the noodles according to instructions and let cool.Barbecuing is the best, but Nem nuong may also be grilled in the oven, grill pan or skillet. On the barbecue grill for about 5 minutes until browned; in a preheated oven at 225 °C for about 15-20 minutes, turn regularly; and in the pan, without or with a little oil for about 20 minutes (times depending on the thickness of the mined burgers). The meat can also first be steamed and then fried in the pan or on the grill.
- Cut the Nem Nuong into strips, place in a bowl and place on the table.
- Place also on the table, the dipping sauce, rice paper and vegetables. Give each eater a bowl for dipping and a plate to roll the rice paper on. Nem nuong can be eaten as a lukewarm salad, then larger bowls are required. The bowl with hot water is to soak the rice paper. You can mix all ingredients (meat, noodles, vegetables and herbs) in the rice paper or salad to taste.