It is lobster season again and therefore good to remind everyone that crustaceans are very tasty in a sauce with ginger and oyster sauce.
In 2013 Het Parool (Amsterdam newspaper) did a lobster test in Amsterdam. The test compared apples and oranges, because in the top 19 there was a Chinese restaurant at number 1 with their ‘Lobster with ginger and spring onions’, and that method of preparation can not be compared with lobster in butter sauce. I quickly traveled to that Chinese restaurant to taste, but that was a huge disappointment. It was not a representative test to say the least, nevertheless it indicates how good oyster sauce and ginger go with lobster. This dish could really be much better (and cheaper) so my advice: make it yourself.
If you want to alternate, you can put in some tamarind as in Cua rang me. Sriracha chili sauce or chillies may provide a bit of spice. Some recipes use a little broth, wine and / or cornstarch, I would not know why. I prefer the lobster as simple as possible, but always with lemon juice.
- 1 lobster (about 1 kilo)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 25 g ginger, half finely chopped and half julienne sliced
- 4 spring onions, in large pieces
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- fresh lemon juice
- Cut the lobster right through half. First start at the head, and then from the head to the tail. Remove the intestinal tract and other inedible parts of the lobster. Chop the scissors off the body. Cut the scissors with the back of a chopping knife or cut them in half. Cut the lobster’s body into two pieces and rinse everything with cold water.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large wok pan. Put the garlic, onions and chopped ginger in the oil and fry until the smells are released. First add the large pieces of the lobster to the pan and stir. Put the rest of the lobster in the pan as soon as the shell of the large pieces of lobster begin to color. Add the oyster sauce and fish sauce and stir well. Put the lid on the pan and let the lobster stew for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, julienne sliced ginger and spring onion and cook for about 2 minutes until the lobster is cooked.
- Press fresh lemon juice over the lobster meat when eating.