Ingredients (about 12 cabbage bundles)
- 1 white cabbage
- 3 spring onions
- 150 g pork belly
- 100 g shrimps
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Cut the pork belly and shrimps in large pieces. Chop the green leaves of the spring onions and keep for binding the cabbage rolls. Chop the white and light green part of the spring onions into large pieces. Put the pork belly, shrimp, chopped spring onion, fish sauce, salt, sugar and pepper in the meat blender and grind into a fine paste.
- Take about 12 leaves from the cabbage. It does not matter if there are small rips. Cut the hard pieces of the bottom.
- Bring about 2 liters of water to a boil. Blanch the cabbage leaves for about 5 minutes until they are pliable but not too soft. Do this in 2 or 3 steps. Blanch the leaves of spring onions briefly until they are slightly softer, but up to 1 minute.
- Spoon the cabbage leaves out of the water and let rest in a colander. The green stalks of spring onions can be hung on the edge of the colander to get rid of the excess moisture. Keep the blanching water.
- Put a tablespoon of meat paste on a cabbage leaf and fold the bottom first, then the sides and roll up into a small package. Tie the package with a blanched scallion leaf. Depending on the length of the leaves the bundle can be tied as a gift pack, so twice – in the length and width. But one side is also sufficient.
- Put the cabbage packets in a pan and pour the blanching water over it until the cabbage packets are just below the water. If you want, you can put a flat plate on the cabbage packets so they remain under water. Cook over medium high heat for about 30 minutes until tender. Add more broth to taste.
- Take the plate out of the pan carefully. Add fish sauce, sugar and salt to taste.
- Put a few cabbage packets in a large soup bowl or individual bowls and pour broth to the half of the cabbage packets.