- 1 l of water
- 30 g dried shrimp (less to taste)
- 400 g Vietnamese spinach (mong toi, saan choy, choi poi, malabar spinach) with a distinct, earthy taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ground pepper
- Soak the dried shrimps for about 30 minutes in a rice bowl with warm water.
- Bring 1 liter of water in a saucepan to boil.
- Cut the spinach leaves from the stalk, remove the stalks and rinse the leaves thoroughly with water. Cut the spinach into strips.
- Put the soaked shrimp in a colander to get rid of the water and chop them. Put the chopped shrimp in the soup pot and add the sugar and salt. Cover the pan half with a lid and simmer on medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Put the sliced spinach into the soup and add fish sauce. Make sure the spinach ly under the stock. Stir gently and taste. Add any additional sugar or salt to taste. Turn off the heat once the spinach is just wilted.
- Pour the soup into a large bowl and put some black pepper on top.