- 1.5 kilo chicken thighs (about 4 pieces)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Clean the chicken thighs with salt, rinse with water and pat dry them.
- Pound the star anise and the garlic in a mortar until they´re very fine, almost like paste.
- In a large bowl, where all chickens thighs fit in, add soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, sugar, vinegar and the crushed anise and garlic. Toss well.
- Place the chicken thighs in the marinade and make sure the thighs are all covered. Cover the bowl with foil and put in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, over night is best.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the refrigerator to reach room temperature. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Place the chicken thighs with the round part down in a baking dish. Grill the chicken for about 15 minutes in the oven untill brown.
- Turn the chicken when the bottom has a nice brown color or otherwise leave a few minutes more before you turn the chicken. Turn the oven to 150 °C and leave the chicken about 40-50 minutes. The low temperature ensures that the chicken will become tender and a bit of sauce will arise.
- Make sure the chicken is cooked by piercing with a knife tip into the thickest part of the chicken. If the fluid is not bloody, the chicken is cooked.
- The skin and the bones are full of flavor with the marinade. Pour some of the remaining sauce over the white meat to give this part more flavor.