Ca hap can be prepared a variety of ways. The base is steamed fish where you can choose different types of fish such as sea bass, catfish, red snapper, tilapia, etc. Then you can use all kinds of herbs and dressings. You can spinkle the fish with spring onion oil and/or ginger and chillies, drizzle with a light soy sauce or dip in a fish sauce.
This recipe is the simplest form where I only use scallion oil and fish dipping sauce.
- 1 kg of sea bass, cleaned and intestines removed (by the fishmonger)
- rice vermicelli, according to instructions
- basic fish dipping sauce Nuoc cham
- rice paper
- spring onion oil Mo hanh
- fresh herbs and vegetables to taste: coriander, mint, dill, mixed lettuce, cucumber
- Create two notches on both sides of the fish. Steam the fish(es) in the steamer depending on size about 25 minutes until cooked.
- Cook the rice noodles according to instructions.
- Put on the table a bowl of hot water to soak the rice paper, a plate with various vegetables and fresh herbs, a plate of rice noodles and a bowl with the basic fish dipping sauce. Each eater gets a bowl with dipping sauce and a plate to roll the rice paper sheets.
- Place the steamed fish(es) carefully on a large plate and sprinkle with the scallion oil. Place the plate with fish in the middle of the dining table. Start putting vermicelli on the rice paper and then cucumber, fresh vegetables, herbs and fish. Roll up and dip in the fish dipping sauce.